Blog ini menyediakan materi dan tips untuk belajar bahasa Inggris secara efektif dan menyenangkan.

...

Practicing English Tenses: A Guide to Mastery (My English Learning Journey Series #4)

Practicing English Tenses: A Guide to Mastery


In this article, I will practice writing examples using different English tenses. The goal is to make it familiar to me and use them correctly in sentences. 

I will focus on five tenses and write as many examples as possible for each.

1. Present Simple

Present simple was used for daily routines and facts. 

The formula: Subject + Base form of the verb (add -s or es for third person singular: he, she, it)

Examples:

  • I read books every day.
  • I usually wake up at 5 a.m
  • Billy works at a cafe.
  • They play futsal twice a week.
  • Mr. Alex teaches English.
  • The students study from Monday to Friday.
  • We usually visit the church every Sunday.
  • I drink tea in the morning.
  • The sun sets in the west.
  • My brother eats durian.
  • Bela writes a journal every day.
  • They watch soccer on weekends.
  • My wife cooks every day.
  • I visit my parents once a month.
  • We have a briefing every morning.
  • Our team discusses it once a week.
  • Gabriel runs at the park.

2. Present Continuous

Present continuous was used for actions happening now.

The formula: Subject + am/is/are + verb + ing

Examples:

  • I am writing an article
  • You are listening to music now
  • They are going to the market
  • We are doing our homework
  • She is calling her parents
  • He is working on his school project.
  • Mr.Budi is speaking to the principal.
  • I am reading a book now.
  • I am eating soup.
  • You are drinking a glass of water
  • He is running in the street
  • We are walking toward home.
  • I am learning English.
  • He is taking a shower.
  • They are studying at the library.
  • I am having lunch.

3. Past Simple

Past simple was used for actions completed in the past.

The formula: Subject + Past form of the verb (regular verbs:-ed, irregular verbs: second form)

Examples:

  • I watched Young Sheldon last night.
  • You visited your grandmother last month.
  • He had dinner at 7 p.m
  • They played futsal yesterday.
  • He learned Math in school.
  • I wrote an article yesterday.
  • She lost her motorcycle's key.

4. Future Simple

Future simple was used for actions that will happen in the future.
The formula:  Subject + will + base form of the verb.

Examples:

  • I will go to school tomorrow.
  • You will visit your uncle next week.
  • They will win the game next month.
  • We will find a way to get there.
  • She will play a game tonight.
  • He will meet his friend after school.
  • The baby will sleep after the meal.
  • I will write an article again tomorrow.
  • Mr. Anton will watch TV after dinner.

5. Present Perfect

Present Perfect was used for experiences and actions relevant to the present.

The formula: Subject + has/have + Past participle (third form)

Examples:

  • I have read three books this month.
  • You have watched TV for four hours.
  • I have worked at this school for seven years.
  • My wife has prepared dinner for us.
  • I have written many articles on this blog.
  • She has traveled to many countries.
  • Fiona has found her keys.
  • The dog has eaten its meals.
  • Mr Frog has gone to the pool often.

This is not my final article because I will update it regularly. I will add another example when I feel the need to review and reinforce my knowledge.

My challenge in learning these tenses is connecting the words and putting them into the right sentences. Sometimes it is easy where the sentence to add the time sign but it is not in every sentence that uses one. Building a sentence is not as easy as it looks. But this does not stop me from practicing again and again.

To be honest, I also make a lot of mistakes when I write this. I am running to ChatGPT to fix them. And I still don't know if these sentences are perfect. 

I will be happy if you understand and get the point of this article. I hope this will not disturb you.

Back To Top type='text/javascript'/>